Skip to main content

Managing your bills

7 April 2020

Money Advice | Rent |

URL copied

Your bills

If a change in circumstances due to COVID-19 means you are struggling to afford your bills there is support available for you.

It is important not to ignore your bills and contact your providers instead, to see what help they may have on offer.

Please contact us if your contact details such as your phone number or email address have changed recently, so we can get in touch with you with information on support available.


We are committed to making sure no one is evicted as a direct result of financial hardship suffered during the coronavirus crisis. We need you to get in touch as soon as possible if you are struggling to pay your rent or need help to make a claim for benefits.

We have a dedicated page to answer the questions you may have about your rent. You can find out more, here.

If you need to discuss your rent, you can contact us here.

Energy bills

If you have gas and electric bills or you have a prepayment energy meter that you are struggling to afford and/or top up, you need to contact your energy suppliers. You will be able to find the contact details for your suppliers on their websites or on your energy bills.

You need to contact your suppliers to discuss your current situation and they will find ways to support and help you as much as possible. If you aren’t sure who your supplier is, you can find out by following these steps.

They may help by negotiating a payment plan for you or, if you have a prepayment meter, they can help you find ways to keep your energy connected.

It is important to contact your energy suppliers as soon as possible in order to receive the help and support they have on offer to you, during the Coronavirus crisis.

Here are some of the main energy suppliers:

British Gas

EDF Energy



Scottish Power


Water bill

Like your energy bills, if you are struggling with your water bill, contact your water provider to see what help they have to offer. It could be that they change you to a different tariff or provide you with a payment holiday.

You should contact them as soon as possible to get help and advice. Welsh Water has lots of information and support available and you can read more, here.

Council tax

If you already get a reduction in your council tax, you may get a discount from the council. You do not have to do anything, the council will send you a new bill, if this applies to you.

If you don’t get a reduction in your council tax but your income has dropped or you have recently applied for benefits, you may be entitled to a reduction.

Contact your council to see if you qualify for a reduction or to see what help they can provide you in order to pay your council tax.

RCT Council

Cardiff Council

Tax bill

If you are unable to pay a tax bill, you need to contact HMRC as soon as possible to discuss this with them. It is important you contact them before your payment is late as this will cause additional costs.

Contact HMRC on their coronavirus helpline: 0800 0159 559

Information and advice

Citizens Advice have a dedicated page full of advice if you are struggling with paying your bills.

Trivallis’ Money Advice Team are available to help you with any finance issues or if you need help applying for benefits. Contact us, here.

Universal Credit has helpful information surrounding Coronavirus (COVID-19) and claiming benefits.