Fire safety should always be a priority in order to protect yourself and others around you from the dangers of fire. Over the past few months, where people have been spending more time at home due to government advice, we have had reports of fires starting in properties.
Two of the fires reported were related to e-cigarettes and plugin air fresheners.
South Wales Fire Service were contacted to discover the frequency of incidents related to electric plugin air fresheners and e-cigarettes; the findings were that there have been numerous fires related to both around the UK. Below is safety information for when you are using e-cigarettes or plug in air fresheners:
To stay safe when using e-cigarettes, you should:
- Only use the charger supplied with your e-cigarette kit – Other chargers may cause problems with incompatible battery types.
- Do not ‘mix and match’ components between kits.
- Do not over tighten the batter on to the charger – Screw the battery in gently after plugging in the charger first.
- Do not leave the kit unattended while charging.
- Clean the battery’s ‘centre pin’ and charger contact at least once a week.
- Once fully charged, removed the battery from the charger.
The insurance industry views those that use e-cigarettes the same as it does those using more traditional cigarettes. Use of e-cigarettes should be disclosed when applying for home insurance, non-disclosure may invalidate the policy.
To stay safe when using air freshener plug ins, you should:
- Use only reputable products
- Ensure instructions are followed.
- Do not place fragrance oil bottle or cap on painted, finished or plastic surfaces. Intended for adult use only.
- Do not insert extension cords, multi-plug or three-prong adapters into extra outlet warmers.
- Do not use with extension cords.
- Do not obstruct airflow.
It is important to listen to this advice to reduce the risk of a fire starting in your home and to ensure you are keeping yourself and others, safe.
For full advice on fire safety and how you can reduce the risk of a fire starting in your home, visit our dedicated fire safety page, here.
South Wales Fire and Rescue Service has helpful advice on how to keep safe at home, here.