Could you save money on your utility bills?
If you are having trouble managing your bills, please do not ignore them. It is important to reach out and contact your provider and ask what help and support they have available to you.
Dwr Cymru Welsh Water’s HelpU tariff
The HelpU tariff helps low income households by capping their water bill so they won’t pay over a certain amount for the year.
To qualify for the HelpU tariff:
- the water supply to the household must be for domestic use only
- someone in the household must receive at least one means-tested benefit
- the combined annual household income must be on or under the threshold for the household size as shown in the table below.
You must apply for the HelpU scheme at the end of every 12 month period. The annual HelpU charge is £250.00 (£108 for water, £142 for sewerage) and the tariff is open from 1st August 2020.
If you think you are eligible and want to apply, or just want more information, visit the Dwr Cymru website and search for HelpU.
Warm Home Discount Scheme
You could get £140 off your electricity bill for winter 2020 to 2021 under the Warm Home Discount Scheme for winter 2020 to 2021. The scheme opened on 12 October 2020.
The money is not paid to you – it’s a one-off discount on your electricity bill, between September and March. You may be able to get the discount on your gas bill instead if your supplier provides you with both gas and electricity. You will need to contact your supplier to find out.
There are 2 ways to qualify for the Warm Home Discount Scheme:
- you get the Guarantee Credit element of Pension Credit – known as the ‘core group’
- you’re on a low income and meet your energy supplier’s criteria for the scheme – known as the ‘broader group’
How you apply for the Warm Home Discount Scheme depends on how you qualify for the discount. The discount will not affect your Cold Weather Payment or Winter Fuel Payment.
For more information on this scheme and how to apply, contact your supplier or visit the Warm Homes Discount Scheme webpage.
If you think you are eligible to apply for these schemes and would like help with your application, contact us and ask to speak to a member of Trivallis’ money advice team.