Skip to main content

Universal Credit: Report your rent increase

1 March 2022

#ValleysMag | Money Advice | Universal Credit |

URL copied

If you claim Universal Credit and have had a rent increase, here is what you need to do so that you don’t lose out on money. 

If you receive Universal Credit, then you will need to notify the DWP on or after the 4th April 2022 to inform them that your rent has changed. 

You will not be able to update your Universal Credit claim until your rent has increased on the 4th April 2022, so please ensure you update it on or after this date, not before.  

To make this easier for you, the Department of Work and Pensions (DWP) will send you a ‘To Do’ notification to your journal in the first week of April 2022. You must complete the ‘To Do’ before the end of your UC assessment period in April 2022 or you will miss out on the money you are due.

Failure to update your Universal Credit claim could result in you missing out on benefits and your rent account falling into arrears. 


To update your Universal Credit claim, you will need to: 

  • Log into your online account, 
  • Click on the ‘to-do’ titled ‘Confirm your housing costs’,
  • Follow the on screen instructions with your new housing costs from the 4th April 2022.


See our step-by-step process of how to make the changes:

 1. Confirm your housing costs are changing


2. Confirm your new weekly rent



(These figures are examples only. You should see your rent charge as it is before the 4th April 2022.)









3.  Confirm changes to service charges




(These figures are examples only.)










Please note that if you manage your Universal Credit account over the phone, you will need to notify the DWP by calling 0800 328 5644. 

Unfortunately, we are unable to inform the DWP on your behalf but if you require any support, our Money Advice Team are available to help, here.