Skip to main content

Discretionary Housing Payments

18 November 2021

#ValleysMag | Money Advice |

URL copied

Update – 03/03/2022

All Discretionary Housing Payments (DHPs) awards will end in April.

If you are getting help from DHPs towards your rent shortfall, these payments will STOP in April as it’s the end of the financial year. After this you will be responsible for covering any rent shortfall that DHPs were covering, for example rent payments because of the bedroom tax.

If you think you will struggle with the shortfall of rent without DHPs then you will need to RE-APPLY.

If you don’t already claim DHPs but you are struggling with you rent payments, check your eligibility, and apply by visiting you council’s website:



Are you struggling with your rent payments? A Discretionary Housing Payment (DHP) may be able to help you.

What are DHPs?

DHPs are extra payments for tenants who need more help with their housing costs, usually where there is a shortfall between their rent and their benefit award. DHPs are generally only available as short-term assistance, not a long-term solution.

The Government provides councils with an amount of money to provide DHPs to those in need, which is why an application is required to identify if a DHP can be awarded.

Are you eligible?

You can apply for a DHP if you currently claim Housing Benefit or the housing element of Universal Credit and need more financial support with housing costs. You must be able to demonstrate financial difficulties or have experienced personal exceptional circumstances.

What can a DHP be used for?

A DHP can be used to cover a shortfall between Housing Benefit/Universal Credit housing costs and rent. It can be used to cover things such as the under-occupancy charge (bedroom tax), the benefit cap or if you’re working and only getting a portion of your rent paid by Housing Benefit/Universal Credit due to other income.

In some circumstances, DHPs can help towards removal costs if you need to move home.

How can you apply?

You can apply for a DHP online by visiting your local council website:

If you’re unable to apply online, you can contact your local council and ask for a paper form to be posted to you to you to submit.

If you would like more information and advice on DHPs or support with applying, contact our Money Advice Team, here:

This piece is from the Winter 2021 issue of our Trivallis Valleys Magazine. To read the full issue, visit our Valleys Magazine page.