To celebrate the arrival of spring, give this delicious Spring Vegetable Tart a try. Using fresh ingredients, this recipe screams springtime! A great family meal, this tart will serve six people – you might even have some leftover for lunch!
- 320g ready rolled puff pastry
- 1 red pepper
- 1 yellow pepper
- 1 red onion
- 1 courgette
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 bunch of Basil
- 1 egg
- 100g cherry tomatoes
- 2tbsp Olive oil
- Salt & Pepper
- 250g ricotta
- 75g mature cheddar
- Lemon zest
Nutrition (Per serving – 6 portions)
Calories – 475g Saturates – 13g
Protein – 13g Carbs – 43g
Total fat – 35g Total sugars – 8.5g
Fibre – 6g
Instructions for cooking
1. Unroll pastry onto baking sheet in baking tray. Fold all the sides in to a 2cm wide border, then crimp the border. Chill for 30 minutes.
2. While chilling. Chop the peppers, onion and courgette and place into a large bowl. Add the chopped garlic and season generously with salt and pepper. Line another baking tray with baking paper and lay vegetables on it. Cover vegetables with 2tbsp of olive oil.
3. Preheat oven to 200°c (180°c fan or gas mark 6). Prick pastry inside border well with a fork, then brush all over with beaten egg. Cook both pastry and vegetables in separate trays for 15-20 minutes or until pastry is golden and sandy to touch.
Optional extra: In a bowl mix together ricotta, lemon zest and cheddar cheese with salt and pepper seasoning. Once tart base is cooked spread ricotta mixture within the tart boarders.
4. Add cooked vegetables to tart base (or on top of ricotta base) and scatter over chopped cherry tomatoes and cheddar cheese. Place into the oven for a further 15-20 minutes until vegetables are cooked through.
5. Remove from oven garnish with basil leaves, cut into desired portion size and serve.
This story is from the Spring 2022 issue of our Trivallis Valleys Magazine. To read the full issue, visit our Valleys Magazine page.