Skip to main content

Move to UC - Time It Right

13 July 2022

#ValleysMag | Money Advice | Universal Credit |

URL copied

If you claim a benefit please read on…

Universal Credit (UC) is a means-tested benefit, and by the end of 2024 it will replace Income Support, Income-Based Jobseeker’s Allowance, Income-Related Employment and Support Allowance, Working Tax Credit, Child Tax Credit and Housing Benefit. The DWP refers to these as ‘legacy benefits’.

There are instances where legacy benefit claimants choose to voluntarily claim UC, as they will be financially better off. This is known as ‘voluntary migration’ to UC, for example sometimes when working and claiming tax credits. Always carry out a benefit check first and seek advice before switching benefits. You can do this at: 

If you claim one of the mentioned benefits you will be moved over to UC by the end of 2024.  Unless a change in your circumstances occurs, such as moving from one local authority to another, or certain changes in your family situation, then you will need to make a claim for UC, this is called ‘natural migration’ to UC.

If you are currently claiming Severe Disability Premium, DO NOTHING. WAIT until your migration notice from the DWP to claim UC, as this will ensure transitional financial protection. It’s worth checking with the DWP if you are entitled to the Severe Disability Premium now.

You will be invited to claim UC when the time is right, and you will receive a letter in the post telling you when to claim.

When you are moved over to UC you will get a 2-week run-on of your legacy benefits, and you can also apply for a UC advance if you are worried about waiting until your first UC payment date.


This story is from the Summer 2022 issue of our Trivallis Valleys Magazine. To read the full issue, visit our Valleys Magazine page.