Skip to main content

Summer Savings

23 July 2022

#TrivallisTimeForSummer | Money Advice |

URL copied

With the cost-of-living crisis continuing to affect millions across the country, it is a good idea to take advantage of any money saving offers or grants you see. 

We know it can be difficult to keep track of who is offering what, so we have put together some money saving offers from utility companies and the Government that you may be able to use. 

*This is not an exhaustive list. You may find other financial support by contacting your utility company directly, or further searching online for deals. For advice on making sure you are receiving the best benefits for you, please contact our Money Advice Team* 


Welsh Water 

If you are a low-income household and you are receiving means-tested benefits, you might be eligible to receive support through the HelpU tariff, which can reduce your future bills. 

This tariff puts a cap on the amount you have to pay for your water, so you will never have to pay over a certain amount for the year. 

You must be receiving one of the benefits listed below to be eligible to apply for this tariff: 

  • Pensions Credit 
  • Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance 
  • Income Support 
  • Income-related Employment & Support Allowance 
  • Child Tax Credit 
  • Working Tax Credit 
  • Universal Credit 
  • Housing Credit 
  • Housing Benefit 
  • Council Tax Reduction / Support 

To apply for this tariff, please visit:  


Virgin Broadband 

If you receive Universal Credit, you can get online and stay connected for on £15 a month with Virgin’s Essential Broadband package. 

With a free set up charge, the package offers a Virgin Media WiFi Hub and 15Mbps download speed. This can be fitted either by yourself, or by an engineer (at no extra cost). 

Upon setting up the package, you will be asked to show proof that you are in receipt of Universal Credit by sending a screen shot that of your payments page. This should include your name, address, assessment period and payment date.  

To find out more information, head to:  


British Gas Energy Support Fund 

If you are an existing member of British Gas and you are struggling to pay your gas and electricity bills, you can apply for a grant from British Gas. 

The support fund has been set up to help the most financially vulnerable British Gas customers who are struggling to pay bills during the cost of living crisis. 

Customers with fuel debts of between £250 and £750 can apply for grants to help them with their energy bills. 

It is suggested that you seek professional financial advice before applying, as there may be other suitable options to help you. See the bottom of this article for details. 

For more information on the grant, visit:  


School Uniform Grant 

A grant has been made available by the government to support low-income families in buying school uniform and supplies for their children. 

The grant ranges from £225 to £300 depending on the year group of the child, and it is to be used to purchase uniforms, sports kit, stationary, or equipment for extra curricular activities. 

In order to make the application for the grant, the parent or guardian must be receiving one of the following benefits: 

  • Income Support 
  • Job Seekers Allowance (income based) 
  • Employment Support Allowance (income related) 
  • Child Tax Credit, with a household income of £16,190 or less 
  • Pension Credit (guarantee element) 
  • Universal Credit with net household earnings of less than £7400 

If you live in RCT, find more information here

If you live in Cardiff, find more information here:


Sure Start Maternity Grant 

If you are pregnant with your first child, or you are expecting a multiple birth, you may be eligible for a one-off payment of £500. 

The Sure Start Maternity Grant offers a payment to first-time parents or parents of a multiple pregnancy who are in receipt of certain benefits. 

The payment is given to help with the additional costs of having a baby, and it does not have to be paid back.  

To be eligible, you must have no other children under 16 (unless you are expecting a multiple birth), and you must be receiving one of the following benefits: 

  • Income Support 
  • income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance 
  • income-related Employment and Support Allowance 
  • Pension Credit 
  • Child Tax Credit 
  • Working Tax Credit that includes a disability or severe disability element 
  • Universal Credit 

You can make a claim from 11 weeks before the baby is due, and up to six months after the baby is born. 

For more information on how to make a claim, visit:  


If you need support with your finances, we are here to help. 

Please contact our Money Advice Team who will offer you advice and support on coping with the cost of living crisis. 

You can also talk to RCT Citizens Advice via phone 0800 7022 020, or at their offices in Mountain Ash. They can provide you with free, confidential advice to help you with the problems you may be facing.