Skip to main content

Support in your area - RCT

2 November 2022

#ValleysMag | Money Advice |

URL copied

With the cost of living crisis impacting everyone, you may be able to get additional support to help you.

From help with accessing grants, benefits and managing your finances to support schemes, wellbeing advice and more. Find out what support is available to you in RCT, below:

Housing Related Support – The Supporting People Programme

The Supporting People Programme was established in 2003 and its purpose is to offer housing-related support services for those in housing need across RCT. Anyone over the age of 16 and living in RCT is eligible.

The support on offer includes:

  • Support to settle and maintain your home, including managing a tenancy.
  • Support with budgeting, debts (e.g., rent arrears), benefits, managing money and maximising income.
  • Support to develop practical living skills.
  • Signposting and support to link with other agencies such as Drug/Alcohol Services, GP, Mental Health etc.
  • Support looking for work, training, volunteering or finding activities in your local area.
  • Advice on housing issues, arrears, eviction etc.
  • Help filling in forms or reading forms (e.g., letter and bills).
  • Support to move and look for alternative accommodation.

Anyone over the age of 16 and living in RCT is eligible to apply for support. You can apply for support by filling in the ‘Housing-Related Support Form’ via this link – Housing-Related Support Referral Form

A referral form can be completed by you or someone else, for example if you have support from another worker (e.g. social worker, probation officer etc.) or family member they can complete this form with you.

If you are completing the form on behalf of someone else, please discuss the referral with them and ensure that they are happy to receive support and give their consent.

Citizens Advice – Supporting Trivallis Tenants

Citizens Advice Rhondda Cynon Taff (CARCT) are working in Partnership with Trivallis to offer free, confidential and impartial advice to tenants. Referrals can be made into CARCT by our Money Advice Team.

The advice service is open between 9:30am – 12:30pm every Monday, Tuesday and Thursday at Knight Street, Mountain Ash, CF45 3EY.

The team can help with income maximisation, energy issues, housing issues, employment issues, cost of living support and more. They also have a number of outreach venues across Rhondda Cynon Taf.

For more information, you can contact them by:

Citizens Advice – Universal Credit Help to Claim 

Citizens Advice’s help to Claim advisers can help you with the early stages of your Universal Credit claim.

Advisers can help you:

  • work out if you can get Universal Credit
  • fill in the Universal Credit application
  • prepare for your first Jobcentre appointment
  • check your first payment is correct

You can get in touch by:

Claim What’s Yours

Many people are unaware they may be entitled to benefits that could offer them the extra support they need.

If you are unsure about what benefits you can claim, you can call the free helpline: 0808 250 5700.

For more information on Claim What’s Yours, click here.


Interlink offer their services across RCT via their Wellbeing Co-ordinator Team. They link adults to sources of support in the community and can help with a range of issues, including:

  • housing, benefits and financial issues
  • loneliness and isolation
  • emotional health and wellbeing
  • healthy lifestyle choices
  • connecting to local groups and activities
  • accessing specialist services and support
  • employment, volunteering or learning

All of the services on offer include benefits of improving your emotional wellbeing, connecting you to your community, helping you find the right support and improving your quality of life.

To be put through to the right member of the team you can:

For more information on the support on offer, click here.

Carmel Community Clothing

Carmel Community Clothing has been set up by Carmel Church based in the village of Blaenllechau, RCT.

Thanks to the amazing band of volunteers, they provide excellent quality clothes to anyone who needs them across RCT, Caerphilly & Bridgend.

If you or anyone you know is in need of clothing, you can:

You can view Carmel Community Clothing’s website, here.

Alternatively, you can visit Carmel Community Clothing at their base in Blaenllechau on the days and times listed below:

  • Tuesdays 10.00am – 12.30pm
  • Thursdays 11.00am – 1.00pm
  • Sundays 2.00pm – 4.00pm

In order to supply clothes to those in need, they rely on the generosity of others, if you would like to make a donation of clothes you can call them on 07422 880932.

Warm Wales

Warm Wales is Wales’ oldest Community Interest Company working to tackle fuel poverty by offering free advice and support to ensure people across Wales and South-West England have warm and safe homes.

They have a team of trained energy advisors and community workers to help provide advice, referrals, and access to grants such as gas connection grants to ensure no one is living in unsafe and cold homes.

Their ‘Healthy Homes, Healthy People’ project is available to everyone and can help support you in reducing your energy bills, applying for schemes and supporting those affected mentally by fuel poverty.

You can find out more about the support they offer, here.

Resident Support RCT

RCT council works with key partners to provide support to residents. You can ask for support at any time if you find yourself in need and do not have the support of family, friends or your community.

Your local response team can help with:

  • Support with shopping
  • Support to collect a prescription/arrange for online access to re-order etc
  • Support to access a Community Group or Activity
  • Friendly telephone call to maintain social contact
  • Support to find work or receive work related training
  • Information and guidance about money or benefits
  • Information about the ‘At Home’ library service
  • Information about the Lifeline Plus Service
  • Wellbeing support if you are feeling lonely or isolated or would like to be put in contact with a local Community Group in your area.
  • Wellbeing Assessment – includes a home visit to discuss and record the position of the whole family, including things that are going well and things you may need help with from our Community Partners

You can request help by:

  • Calling 01443 425020
  • Filling out a ‘Request Assistance’ online form, here.

Additional Help Contact Details:

Discretionary Assistance Fund – Find out if you are eligible and apply for the Discretionary Assistance Fund.

PDG Access Grant – Can help with costs of school uniform, sports kit, ICT equipment & learning resources (from Reception to Year 11).

EYST Multilingual Helpline Wales – Information about welfare entitlements, housing and employment advice in a range of languages.

Advicelink – Advicelink Cymru offers advice on welfare benefits, debt, employment, education, housing, immigration and discrimination.

  • Call: 0800 702 2020

National Energy Action – Warm and Safe Homes Advice Service Advice to householders on energy bills and keeping warm and safe at home.

Healthy Start – Vouchers to help buy fruit, vegetables and milk if you’re on a low income and pregnant or have a child under 4.

If you need to access support in the Cardiff area, click here.

If you need any additional support with your finances, get in touch with our Money Advice Team.

This piece is from our tenant magazines that you can read online. If you’re living in RCT, you can read our valleys magazine or if you’re living in Cardiff, you can read our y bae magazine.

For more support with the cost of living crisis, visit our dedicated Cost of Living page.