The dieticians at Cwm Taf Morgannwg University Health Board (CTMUHB) have shared a great winter warmer recipe with us for this What’s Cooking piece. Try making this leek and potato soup to keep you warm and full during the colder months.
- 1 tablespoon sunflower/rapeseed oil
- 4 large leeks washed, trimmed and cut into thin rings
- 2 medium/large potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 845mls/1½ pints low salt, vegetable/chicken stock using 1 stock cube
- 3-4 tablespoons of semi skimmed milk
- 1 teaspoon mixed herbs
- Pinch of black pepper
- Heat oil in a large saucepan. Add leeks and potato. Cover and allow to soften for 5 minutes.
- Add the stock, herbs and black pepper. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer for about 30 minutes.
- Ensure leeks and potato are thoroughly cooked.
- Puree the mixture in a blender. Do this a bit at a time so it doesn’t spill. Once blended, put back in the pan. If you don’t have a blender, use a masher.
- Add the milk to give the soup a creamy taste and thin it down.
- Serve with crusty bread.
Tip! To make this more filling and fibre rich, add a tin of chickpeas or butter beans.
For more recipes from CTMUHB, click here.