Skip to main content

Noise Nuisance

The most common neighbour disputes which cause tension between people are around noise.

What is noise nuisance?

Excessive noise from a neighbour can be frustrating and can cause unnecessary stress and worry. In many cases the neighbour is unaware that they are causing a problem.  Always, in the first instance try to talk to your neighbour to make them aware.

Noise nuisance is not acceptable at any time of the day, it is a myth that people are allowed to play loud music at a certain time of day.  Everyone should be aware and mindful if you are making electronic noise such as having a TV or radio on, then the volume should be set at a level where only you can hear it in your home, if it can be heard outside of your home then this is classed as a nuisance and can impact your neighbours.

Noise nuisance is excessive, persistent noise, and/or at unsociable hours. If you experience noise nuisance from your neighbour, it is important to make them aware that you’ve been disturbed by their behaviour in the first instance.

How to resolve the issue?

We understand that talking with your neighbour may not feel easy and can be a difficult thing to do. However, on most occasions, your neighbour is not aware that they have disturbed you and the issue can be resolved between the both of you. This way is always best because you have a quick resolution to the problem, and you maintain a good relationship with your neighbour without Trivallis being involved.

Please remember it is always important to be respectful and considerate to each other.

If you speak with your neighbour and the noise continues, then please contact us and we will help.

When you contact Trivallis for help with noise nuisance, it must be that the noise that you are reporting is unreasonable and interferes with your quality of life and the use or enjoyment of your home for it to be a breach of contract.

To allow us to act on the breach of contract, we will need evidence. Evidence can be gathered through using the noise app or diary sheets if the app cannot be used.

We will be able to support you with this when you contact us.

Report it to your local council:

If you live in Rhondda Cynon Taf, the Environmental Health Noise & Pollution team at Rhondda Cynon Taf County Borough Council hold the statutory duty to investigate alleged noise nuisance. You can report a noise pollution problem here or you can call 01443 425001.

If you live in Cardiff Bay, The Shared Regulatory Service is a partnership between Bridgend Council, Cardiff Council and the Vale of Glamorgan Council, who manages pollution. You can report a noise pollution issue here.

If you need more support around ASB, please visit our ASB page.