Rent statement - frequently asked questions

What is a rent statement?

Your statement shows the weekly charges and all the payments made by you. The statement will explain if you have a credit balance (a ‘-‘ minus sign in front of the amount) or if you owe money (or arrears) to Trivallis. You can request a rent statement for any period of your tenancy that you want to view.

If you would prefer a rent statement emailed to you, please contact the Income Management Team on 03000 030 888 and they can have a look at this for you.


What makes up the ‘debit total’ on the statement?

The debit total is the value of rent and service charges you are responsible for. Rent is money you pay to your landlord to live in your home. Service charges cover the cost of additional services provided to you.

For example, some service charges will be Housing Benefit (HB) or Universal Credit (Universal Credit) and can be claimed as part of your benefit entitlement. However, others are not, and you’ll need to pay these out of you own funds.

Any service charges that aren’t communal and are supplied individually to residents like heating and hot water will not be covered by HB or UC.

If you wish to discuss your service charges in more detail, please ask to speak to a member of the Income Management Team on 03000 030 888.


Why are some payments missing?

If you have applied for Housing Benefit (HB) or Universal Credit Housing Element (UC), this is paid four weeks in arrears and there may be further delays in receiving these benefits.

If UC is paid directly to you then it is your responsibility to pay the rent to Trivallis. If you believe some payments are missing then please discuss this with a member of the Income Management Team on 03000 030 888.


I find my rent statement too complicated. Can it be made easier to read?

We’ve tried to make the statements as user friendly as possible but we’re bound by legislation to include certain items.

Please note that a minus symbol before the rent balance figure signifies a credit. (E.g. -100 means you are £100 in credit).

If you need any assistance, please get in touch with a member of the Income Management Team on 03000 030 888.


What should I do if my direct debit does not cover my new rent and service charges?

Please contact us so we can adjust your direct debit. This can also be amended so your direct debit clears any rent arrears and your rent is paid in advance.


My contact details are incorrect.

Please contact us with the correct details and we will update your information immediately.


If I am in credit how can I get a refund?

All rent is required to be paid in advance in line with your payment frequency. If you are entitled to a refund you can request this completing our online form.